VM install not functional

Odd issue. After years of experience and using Autopsy on my Windows VM (where I do my forensics), 4.14 will not function! After many updates/installs/cache cleaning/file cleaning, an Autopsy install does not offer a “new case” pop up. 4.14 works on the host machine without issue. See attached odd menu which is missing full features.**Top is VM, Bottom is Host

I’m guessing from the screenshot that you are on some version of Linux??
What version of Java do you have on the VM? Run ‘java -version’ to find out.
You might also take a look to see if there are any clues in the Autopsy log files.
On Linux these can be found in ~/.autopsy/dev/var/log and on Windows they can be found in %APPDATA%\autopsy\var\log. Take a look at the messages.log* and autopsy.log* files.

Thank you for the response.

Both machines are Windows 10. The one it is not working is is virtualized because of some malware work I do on it. So then I checked Java. NO JAVA on the host (working machine), JAVA Dev Kit 11.0.3 was installed on the VM (for Ghidra purposes). I uninstalled it and no change on the VM.

Does Autopsy require a specific Java version?

I apologize, I completely missed the fact that you mentioned it was a Windows VM.

Autopsy comes bundled with the version of Java it requires (assuming you used the installer).
Can you send along a screenshot of the Tools > Plugins > Installed screen?

You mention that you did “many updates/installs/cache cleaning/file cleaning”…did you try renaming or deleting the %APPDATA%\autopsy folder? Note that deleting that folder will blow away any settings and Python modules you may be using.

I renamed the APPDATA folder like you suggested, BOOM, working again. Looks like something corrupted on a reinstall. Thanks for the help!