Solr Error with NAS for Case Output on MacOS

Hi,
I have successfully installed and can run Autopsy 4.19.1 on Mac OS High Sierra (10.13.6). I can successfully create case output folders both on my local Macintosh HD and on an external SSD drive connected to my MacBook Pro and ingest data sources. All my evidence files are stored on a Synology NAS and Autopsy has no issues reading from that location. However, due to text indexing quickly filling my drive, I want to create the case output folders on my NAS instead. However, the error below is returned when I attempt to do that:

RequestHandlerBase
org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error CREATEing SolrCore ‘test4_20210826_015636_20210826_015658’: Unable to create core [test4_20210826_015636_20210826_015658] Caused by: Operation not supported

Caused by: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Unable to create core [test4_20210826_015636_20210826_015658]
at org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer.createFromDescriptor(CoreContainer.java:1408)
at org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer.create(CoreContainer.java:1273)
… 47 more
Caused by: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Operation not supported
at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.(SolrCore.java:1071)
at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.(SolrCore.java:906)
at org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer.createFromDescriptor(CoreContainer.java:1387)
… 48 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Operation not supported
at sun.nio.ch.FileDispatcherImpl.lock0(Native Method)
at sun.nio.ch.FileDispatcherImpl.lock(FileDispatcherImpl.java:94)
at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.tryLock(FileChannelImpl.java:1114)
at java.nio.channels.FileChannel.tryLock(FileChannel.java:1155)
at org.apache.lucene.store.NativeFSLockFactory.obtainFSLock(NativeFSLockFactory.java:126)
at org.apache.lucene.store.FSLockFactory.obtainLock(FSLockFactory.java:41)
at org.apache.lucene.store.BaseDirectory.obtainLock(BaseDirectory.java:45)
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.(IndexWriter.java:785)
at org.apache.solr.update.SolrIndexWriter.(SolrIndexWriter.java:126)
at org.apache.solr.update.SolrIndexWriter.create(SolrIndexWriter.java:100)
at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.initIndex(SolrCore.java:802)
at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.(SolrCore.java:988)
… 50 more

I suspect this perhaps has to do with the Solr user not having required permissions to write to my NAS or failing to authenticate to my NAS somehow? Is there any solr config file that I can store the credentials in? Is solr still running as my local user (which already has admin rights)? How is it that the other case data can be written but the core creation is failing? Can you please advise?

@arghsenic That’s a strange error. You are probably correct that the issue is probably with the write permissions on the network share though usually in that scenario I see an actual “permission denied” error. Solr process is started with same permissions as Autopsy and under the same account. You need to run Autopsy as a user that has write permissions on that share.

Alternatively you could setup Autopsy in Multi-User mode, then you will be able to run Solr service using a different account credentials. There are detailed instructions on how to do that. I am not certain that it works on a Mac though.
https://sleuthkit.org/autopsy/docs/user-docs/4.19.1/install_multiuser_page.html
https://sleuthkit.org/autopsy/docs/user-docs/4.19.1/install_multiuseruser_page.html