Cannot Create Case Database. Solr Keyword Search Service Error

Hello. I just started the online training for Autopsy but I wasn’t able to get past the case creation part.
I got this error:
Failed to create database
Solr Keyword Search Service Error
Could not close case resources for Solr keyword Search Service service: java.lang.NullPointerException

I’m running Autopsy 4.14.0 on a Windows 10 machine.

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Autopsy Training.

Do you have access to the folder(s) where you are trying to store the case? Are you running Autopsy as an Administrator? Is there something running on your system that may be blocking/sandboxing the Autopsy and/or Java program/environments?

Have you read through this thread “Solr Error. Cannot open case”. Perhaps that helps?

Hello,

I am having a similar problem. I received the same error. To ensure my copy of Autopsy was not corrupt, I uninstalled it, downloaded a new copy and installed the new copy. After receiving the same message, I updated Java and Windows 10. Still received the same error:

Failed to create database
Solr Keyword Search Service Error
Could not close case resources for Solr keyword Search Service service: java.lang.NullPointerException

As the error appeared to be related to the Keyword Search Service, I disabled the keywordsearch under tools->Plugins->Installed.

When I attempted to create a new case I did not get the error related to Solr Keyword Search Service. Instead I just received an error stating “Cannot create case. Failed to create case database: .” However, when I go to the location the case should have been saved to, autopsy.db is present and looking at the db with DB Browser appears to have some data. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Autopsy.

Did you also delete the folder under your user profile when you uninstalled/reinstalled Autopsy? There may be issue(s) with the configuration/profile data that may be causing the issues as well. The error message of “Cannot create case. Failed to create case database: .” that you are describing very much sounds like the database is already present (which you do state that it was) and it cannot overwrite it, so you have to make a new case with a different case name.

Additionally, the same steps apply to your case as well

Are you running Autopsy as an Administrator?
Is there something running on your system that may be blocking/sandboxing the Autopsy and/or Java program/environments?

You can also try downloading the new version that was released this morning, that may help solve these issues too.

Hello and thank you for the quick response. Yes, I did delete the folder under the user profile and changed the case name, several times…LoL. I was running Autopsy as an admin and even right clicked on it and selected run as admin, I have one other tool which requires this. I am unaware of anything on the system which would block/sandbox autopsy or java.

I will uninstall the version I have and try the new version. Thank you again for the help.

Thank you!

Please let us know if after you get the new version if you are still having issues, and we can try to work through the issues then.

Good afternoon, I removed the older version of Autopsy and installed the version 4.15.0 but I am still receiving the same error. Just encase, I also downloaded and installed the latest version of Java. Additionally, I downloaded Solr and was able to get it to run. Not sure what is causing the problem. Thank you again for the help.

1 Like