Autopsy 4.13 Missing Menu

I’m having problems with Autopsy 4.13 not showing the complete menu. Under “tools” there is no “options”. I reinstalled it, repaired it etc. I had the same issue with Windows 7 and now Windows 10. Any ideas? Please!

Try going to C:/Users/(username)/AppData/Roaming and deleting the “autopsy” folder. This will delete any saved settings like keyword lists, interesting files, possibly hash sets, so make a backup first if you have anything to preserve.

1 Like

We have also seen this problem with the Tools menu occur as a side effect of errors loading third-party plugin modules (i.e., ingest modules, report modules). You might find a stack trace something like this in messages.log in C:/Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/autopsy/var/log:

INFO [org.netbeans.core.startup.layers.BinaryFS]: value =

[module name] from

[some module].instance

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Will not load classes from default package

([some module name])

at org.netbeans.ProxyClassLoader.loadClass(ProxyClassLoader.java:159)

Etc.

If you are running with such plugin modules, you might try disabling or uninstalling them (the latter may be necessary). If that solves the problem, you can try adding the plugin(s) back in to identify the exact problem module.

What Netbeans addons do you have installed, we had the same issue after installing a rpeort addon

Yes. I installed recently installed the report add-on.

Sorry for the delay but deleting the autopsy folder from AppData/Roaming solved the problem. Big thanks!

Great! I assume that removed the report add-on that was likely causing the problem.