Issue Running Autopsy, MacOSX (new)

Hi, this is my first time using a digital forensics tool and am encountering an error while running autopsy:

org.netbeans.InvalidException: StandardModule:org.sleuthkit.autopsy.core jarFile: /Users/Autopsy/autopsy-4.14.0/autopsy/modules/org-sleuthkit-autopsy-core.jar: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

The docs say to check the version in the messages.log file (which I cannot find) but with a java -version command, this is my output:

openjdk version “1.8.0_252”
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_252-b09)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.252-b09, mixed mode)

It seems my version differs where “252-b09” should be “232-b10” and am unsure as to how to change versions.

Again, I’m very new to digital forensics and any help is appreciated.

The InvocationTargetException is usually an indication that a later version of Java is being used.
You should be able to find the messages.log file in ~/Library/Application Support/autopsy/dev/var/log.
The first 20 lines or so of that log will tell you which version of Java is being used.

Thanks for your response!

Although I found that autopsy is not located in ‘Application Support’.

Assuming the version is newer (252), how would I go about downgrading to the required version (232)?

Again thank you, as I am a newbie to this.

There should be no need to downgrade to 232. I’m running 252 on a Linux box just fine.
What do the first ~20 lines of your messages.log file look like?

I do not see a folder named ‘autopsy’ under ‘Application Support’ and therefore cannot find messages.log.

If you try to use the brew sleuthkit package, you will receive the error. Despite the installation instructions for Mac, you need to build sleuthkit from source.

Ok, I believe I read that from another thread but am unsure how to build sleuthkit from source vs using brew.

I’m on Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4 using zsh shell (can change to bash if it helps).

Thanks for response, I am new to this.

I solved the issue by using the new docs you posted for Mac found in another thread:
https://slo-sleuth.github.io/tools/InstallingAutopsyOnMacOS.html

Thanks!!!