This version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0

Hi All,
I wanted to update Autopsy from 4.16 to 4.17, I have bellsoft-java8-full-amd64, I downloaded TSK 4.10.1 and installed it, I followed all the Linux installation rules for Autopsy, but I got this:
Warning - could not install module Autopsy-Core
org.sleuthkit.autopsy.core - org.netbeans.InvalidException: StandardModule:org.sleuthkit.autopsy.core jarFile: /usr/share/caine/autopsy/autopsy/modules/org-sleuthkit-autopsy-core.jar: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/sleuthkit/datamodel/SleuthkitJNI has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 55.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0

I have deleted /home/caine/.autopsy
I have the $JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/bellsoft-java8-full-amd64
My Java Bellsoft is
openjdk version “1.8.0_275”
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_275-b01)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.275-b01, mixed mode)

UBUNTU 20.04

Why this error?
thx

I solved! The problem was that the file /autopsy/autopsy/modules/ext/sleuthkit-4.10.1.jar was owned by root, I changed its owner and Autopsy runs!
Thx

I have a similar problem:
org.netbeans.InvalidException: StandardModule:org.sleuthkit.autopsy.core jarFile: /home/user/autopsy-4.17.0/autopsy/modules/org-sleuthkit-autopsy-core.jar: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/sleuthkit/datamodel/SleuthkitJNI has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 55.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0

but unfortunately your solution doesn’t work for me. My system is setup like yours, except I’m running Ubuntu 18.04. It seems that SleuthkitJNI was compiled with java 1.11 instead of 1.08.

Does anyone else has this problem?

To confirm the compile version of the jar file I did this:

$ unzip -p autopsy-4.17.0/autopsy/modules/ext/sleuthkit-4.10.1.jar META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
Manifest-Version: 1.0
Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.10.5
Created-By: 11.0.9+12-LTS (BellSoft)

I was able to solve the problem by compiling the sleuthkit from the source code available on https://github.com/sleuthkit/sleuthkit. Meanwhile I opened an issue for the development team to release a fixed version of the sleuthkit-java_4.10.1-1_amd64.deb file.

This is a known issue and an updated version of the Debian package should be coming soon.