Install Autopsy in Mac Studio 2022

Hello,

I’m trying to finish installing Autopsy on my Mac Studio 2022 and on the step where you have to lunch the script (sh unix_setup.sh) I get following error:

Checking prerequisites and preparing Autopsy:
---------------------------------------------
-n Checking for PhotoRec…
ERROR: PhotoRec not found, please install the testdisk package.

The steps I’m following os from the Cyber Social Hub: Installing Autopsy on macOS Big Sur – Cyber Social Hub

Anyone who could help me with this?

Many thanks in advance.

Did you install test disk/photrec as the preeeq in the install docs state? You need brew to install it.

Hi Mark,

thanks for the feedback. I actually followed all steps specified in the link I posted.
% brew install testdisk

As I’m working on a new machine I had to install all from ZERO (brew included) :slight_smile:
But it seems that I still cannot proceed from the step I mentioned, it’s still NOT FOUNDING PhotoRec from any reason… :frowning:

Cheers!!

Hi again Mark,

this is the output when I chekc the installed versions of PHOTREC and TESDISK:

PHOTOREC
% photorec -version
PhotoRec 7.1, Data Recovery Utility, July 2019
Christophe GRENIER grenier@cgsecurity.org

Version: 7.1
Compiler: GCC 4.2
ext2fs lib: none, ntfs lib: none, ewf lib: none, libjpeg: none, curses lib: ncurses 5.7, zlib: 1.2.11
OS: Darwin, kernel 21.6.0 (Darwin Kernel Version 21.6.0: Mon Aug 22 20:19:52 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8020.140.49~2/RELEASE_ARM64_T6000) arm64

TESTDISK
% testdisk -version
TestDisk 7.1, Data Recovery Utility, July 2019
Christophe GRENIER grenier@cgsecurity.org

Version: 7.1
Compiler: GCC 4.2
ext2fs lib: none, ntfs lib: none, reiserfs lib: none, ewf lib: none, curses lib: ncurses 5.7
OS: Darwin, kernel 21.6.0 (Darwin Kernel Version 21.6.0: Mon Aug 22 20:19:52 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8020.140.49~2/RELEASE_ARM64_T6000) arm64

Thanks in advance.

So I ran into this problem with my M1 Max Macbook Pro. Not sure if you still need help, but thought I’d leave my solution here for anyone else.

I took a look at ./unix_setup.sh and worked out it was failing due to checking for a specific simlink. It seems homebrew only sets up its own simlink. I just went and created the required simlink pointing to the homebrew simlink, which required sudo. After that, autopsy managed to configure.

Here’s the exact command I used. First path is the homebrew simlink on my device and the second path is the simlink the script expected to find that will be created.

sudo ln -s /opt/homebrew/bin/photorec /usr/local/bin/photorec

Your photorec may be installed somewhere else, but you can check that like this.

% which photorec
/opt/homebrew/bin/photorec

I then had some trouble running the executable, but that seemed to be unrelated to this issue.