Autopsy Windows Install - Redirect to SSD

I’m trying to download the latest 64-bit Autopsy and install it on my Windows machine. I’m directing the installer to my D drive which is my solid state drive with plenty of room. During the stall, it ends with an error message that it’s trying to write to my C drive which has 3 GB free space. I cannot figure how to direct the whole install to my D drive.

Thanks!

I don’t see a way to specify the drive and path for installing Autopsy on Windows other than the system (C:) drive. Version 4.17.0 consumes about 2 GB in C:\Program Files\Autopsy-4.17.0 and almost 15 GB in C:\Users<user>\AppData\Roaming\autopsy on a Windows 8.1 machine when Autopsy is not running. When Autopsy is running and a case is opened there will be additional data stored in C:\Users<user>\AppData\Local\Temp unless you change that path in Autopsy, , Application, Temp Directory.

I would suggest you obtain a SSD drive for use as your C: system drive. Running Autopsy from a magnetic spinning HDD will likely be rather slow even if you have considerable memory and a fast CPU/GPU.

You can definitely set an alternative drive and path for Autopsy. I do it all the time.

Even when you are installing to an alternative drive, Windows will create a copy of the installer in the Windows Installer cache on the system drive. I find that I usually need 2 to 3x the size of the installer available on the system drive. This is true for all installers and is not peculiar to Autopsy.

That said, having 3GB free space on the system drive should be enough to install Autopsy on your SSD. To troubleshoot further you could run the following command line on a command prompt from the directory where the Autopsy MSI file is located.

‘msiexec.exe /i autopsy-4.17.0-64bit.msi /l*v D:\autopsy_install.txt’

This will produce a log of the installation process. If you want to send it on I’ll gladly take a look at it.

1 Like