Opening Local Config Files with Python Ingest Modules for Comparison

I’m writing a Data Ingest plugin for Autopsy and I want to open a local file"IOCs.txt", read the lines into a list and then search that list against the contents of the files ingested.

1. Partially working: I can iterate through the files I import in Autopsy and find the first value in iocList, however, it won’t step to the next indices in iocList to look for the next IOC(pictured in #1 below). In a normal python script, this would be no problem, but I am having trouble identifying why.

loop through iocList and run some test(s) on the file contents

iocList = ['\x31\x33\x37\x2e\x31\x33\x35\x2e\x39\x31\x2e\x34\x39',
               '\x77\x69\x70\x72\x6f\x33\x36\x35\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d']

for ioc in iocList:
               result = testContents(stream1, self, file, ioc)
  1. I have the logic working in a standalone python script. When I implement it with my Autopsy plugin, I receive an error in Autopsy along the lines of “no such file or path”. I do have the “ioc_sample.txt” in the same directory as the plugin module. Is it possible to open a file in a module without importing it through the Autopsy GUI?

iocList = []
     with open('ioc_sample.txt', 'r') as iocFile:
         ilist = iocFile.readlines()
         for i in ilist:
             i = i.rstrip()
             ih = '\\x'.join(hex(ord(x))[2:] for x in i)
             #print(ih)
             iL = len(ih)
             iocList.append('\'' + ih + '\'')
             #print(iL)

2. What I wanted the module to do:
    iocList = []
    with open(‘ioc_sample.txt’, ‘r’) as iocFile:
    ilist = iocFile.readlines()
    for i in ilist:
    i = i.rstrip()
    ih = ‘\x’.join(hex(ord(x))[2:] for x in i)
    #print(ih)
    iL = len(ih)
    iocList.append(’’’ + ih + ‘’’)
    #print(iL)

for ioc in iocList:
                result = testContents(stream1, self, file, ioc)

result passes the values to testContents where it searches for the value in the ingested file.

if found, an ‘if’ statement will add an interesting event to the blackboard.

You’ll probably need to specify a full path because the “Current working directory” that Autopsy is running from is not the module directory.

To prove the idea, you should probably just hard code it in a folder like “C:\IOCModule” and give that path.

But, that doesn’t scale for shipping the module. For Java modules, there are some methods built-in that give us the path to where the file was placed.

We don’t have a specific API for this for Python though. There seem to be two options:

1. You can call PlatformUtil.getUserPythonModulesPath() in Autopsy and you can then append the name of your module folder. This will stop working though if someone renames the module folder.
  2. I seem to recall there is a Python/Jython method that returns the location of a class. You could use that path and strip off the class name at the end to get the parent folder.

@Mark_McKinnon: Do you have any Python modules that had this problem?

In your python module here is what you will want to do.

pathIOCFile = os.path.join(os.path.dirname(os.path.abspath(file)), “ioc_sample.txt”)
with open(pathIOCFile, ‘r’) as iocFile:

This is getting the path based on the python script so if you store the ioc_sample.txt file along with your script in the same directory it will it. I have used this many times in my python plugins.

Mark

@Mark_McKinnon @carrier Thanks! This is what I needed, It’s working now as intended.