Fixed crashes when a video is selected. "Still Crashing"

I have installed autopsy 4.14 64 bit. Autopsy is still crashing when I try to select a video file. I am not able to preview it export it or open with external viewer. Autopsy crashes as soon as I select the file. Any help would be appreciated.

I see the same thing in 4.14 64bit but only during ingest. During ingest, clicking on a video file instantly closes Autopsy. However after ingest is complete the videos open as expected.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will have to learn patients.

It would be useful if you could isolate a video file that is causing this issue and provide it as test data.
If you cannot do this then information such as the platform you are running on and details from your log files would be useful.
Also, if Autopsy crashes it should generate a file named something like hs_err_pidXXXX.log which would provide information on why it crashed.

We’ll see if we can recreate this. The crashes are from gstreamer, which is what we use for playback. You are all seeing this on Windows, right?

@Doug_Kubik and @Paul : If you can send us any of these videos causing problems or the hs_err_pidXXXX.log files, that would be great. We’re trying to finish up things before a release at the end of the month and so far we haven’t been able to recreate a crash.

The hs_err_pid file is likely in either the Autopsy folder (in Program Files) or in the %TEMP% folder. You can search for files named “hs_err_pid” to find them. These are created by Java when it crashes and shows a stack trace of the state of the app when it crashed.

Hello Carrier,

I must have been mistaken, and must have been running an older version at the time of the crash and misspoke. (Likely by using the wrong shortcut)

I show no “hs_err_pid” file in the Autopsy 4.14 directory.

However, the previous three versions I have on this machine (4.13, 4.12, 4.11) all contain a version of that file.

Paul Delaney ∴ K6HR

k6hr.com

Hi Paul,
I’m going to send you a link in a separate message. Can you upload the hs_err_pid files to that location?

Thanks.

I have no hs_err_pid files for version 4.14

Paul Delaney ∴ K6HR

k6hr.com

Yes, I understand that. It would still be helpful to see the crash reports from earlier versions.

Here are two of the log files. Unfortunately I am really busy right now, but my plan is to take some time on Thursday and try to intentionally recreate the error.

Thank you

Doug Kubik

Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation

(Attachment hs_err_pid105044.log is missing)

(Attachment hs_err_pid188456.log is missing)

I tried to send the log files and your system rejected them. please let me know how I can send them. I am going to try to make some time on Thursday and try to intentionally recreate the error.

Thank you

Doug Kubik

Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation

ICAC.

I’ve sent you a link.

Thanks.

Just uploaded the log files

I just had another crash when trying to open a video file. I will upload the log file now. Unfortunately I can not upload the video because it is a child exploitation case. after the crash I reopened the case went back to the video file and was able to open it.

Doug

Ok. Thanks. If its possible can you also send along the Autopsy log files from the %APPDATA%\autopsy\var\log folder and the case output Log folder?

I’m currently looking at the logs you uploaded earlier.

the logs are uploaded. I just finished a case so I am available and will be able to respond quicker. Also available by phone if needed

Doug

Thanks Doug. I’m looking at it now. Does this happen for any video file you select or is it particular to a specific type of video?
From your logs it looks like you use the thumbnailing feature…do you do this for both Images and Videos?
And finally for now…do you have the video triage plugin installed?

I do have the video triage plugin installed. I have been trying to duplicate it issue with no luck. It seems to be directly related to how quickly I need to see the video ( just kidding) I originally thought it had something to do with processing, But the last crash was from a previously processed job. When it happens it crashes as soon as I select the video file. It doesn’t give me any information IE file metadata annotation nothing. I can’t even right click on the file to try to export or open with other applications. It does it on both of my workstations. Both similar setups.

I have a search warrant tomorrow, But I can make myself available Thursday to try and break things ( I am usually very good at breaking things).