Cannot build TSK 4.10.1

I am attempting to build TSK so I can use it on Expert Witness Files, specifically E01’s. However, I can’t get TSK to build using Visual Studio. I installed Visual Studio 2015. Then downloaded the .tar.gz and decompressed it. Upon opening the .sln in win32 an error message shows up saying one or more projects could not be loaded. If I try to load a single project it comes up with the following error message:

C:\Users\REDACTED\Downloads\sleuthkit-4.10.1\win32\img_stat\img_stat.vcxproj : error  : Unable to read the project file "img_stat.vcxproj".
C:\Users\REDACTED\Downloads\sleuthkit-4.10.1\win32\img_stat\img_stat.vcxproj(142,3): The imported project "C:\Users\REDACTED\Downloads\sleuthkit-4.10.1\win32\NugetPackages.props" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.

I downloaded the source code from https://www.sleuthkit.org/sleuthkit/download.php. It appears that this version does not have the NugetPackages.props, but it is available on the github page. Should that be included in the download link?

Yes that file is definitely necessary. Can you copy the one from github and see if you can build?

@Matthew Why not just download the pre-compiled binaries from https://github.com/sleuthkit/sleuthkit/releases/download/sleuthkit-4.10.1/sleuthkit-4.10.1-win32.zip?

@apriestman I just downloaded all the files from github and that built just fine. It just seems that the .tar.gz is missing that file.
@downey I choose to build from source since (I thought) I saw that the binaries don’t support E01’s since they are EWF’s. In order to have that support, they must be built from source. I was looking for a link that backs me up, but I can’t find one. Maybe I am mistaken and built it from source for nothing?

Given that the zip file includes libewf I assumed that the binaries would support E01. Just tested and the answer is yes, they do.

Ok, well thanks for your help.

Thanks for reporting this - it will be fixed in the next release.