About Central Repository and diferent autopsy versions

This is a question that has arisen when studying online training, but I think it is more correct in this section. I have reviewed the part corresponding to the central repository in the documentation (http://sleuthkit.org/autopsy/docs/user-docs/4.14.0/central_repo_page.html), but have not found anything about it.

If I have diferent Autopsy versions instaled on a single-user deployment, all of them with the Central Repository enabled and being the same database:
I can delete old versions and continue accessing old cases correctly?

Thanks

Is your concern that uninstalling an old version of Autopsy will delete your central repository? It shouldn’t - if you’ve left it in the default location (AppData), that folder shouldn’t get deleted when Autopsy is. You can always make a copy while you uninstall the old versions just to be sure.

I can delete old versions and continue accessing old cases correctly?

Just to be sure - you know the central repository does not store the actual cases, only a list of things like hashes or phone numbers from each case?

Thanks for your answer Ann.

Just to be sure - you know the central repository does not store the actual cases, only a list of things like hashes or phone numbers from each case?

Now I know :sweat_smile:.

I did not understand it well and I thought I saw a solution to having to keep old versions to review old cases*. I’m sorry.

[*Is the recommendation made in the training installation chapter]

In general, cases made with older versions of Autopsy will be automatically upgraded if you try to open them with the most recent version. There were some bugs in this process in some of the Autopsy releases but I’m pretty sure it works in 4.14.

Thanks for the info Ann.