Section 6 Lab Error after running the ingest module

Hi,
My name is Eduard and I am encountering the attached issue when running 100% the Hash Lookup Module.
I have stumbled in this issue and can not go further, your help would be hugely appreciated!
I attach screenshots with all the steps performed in the lab part of this session.

Screenshots

Hi Eduard,

I get the same error and Ransome Case only gets 2 hits.
I have restart os and run ingest module multiple times but the results still same

Hi Hakim,
At least I am not the only one, I have 14 hits in Rasome Case, but no Pictures Folder and therefore I fail to pass the Lab Quizz.
Hoping for some advice from the tutors :slight_smile:

Hello,

What is the error you are specifically referring to? Autopsy not being able to read a file is by no means a fatal error, and from your screenshot, it looks like the modules processed properly, and you have results.

If you are not seeing them in the UI, try closing Autopsy and restarting it. Also try running it as Administrator. Additionally, the new version of Autopsy was released this morning, downloading that may solve your issue(s).

Thank you

Hello Brian,
Thank you for your kind answer.
Since I am new to Autopsy, I could not assess whether Autopsy reading a certain file is relevant or not for the lab in question.
I will ignore it and move on.
Many thanks!

1 Like

I have same error, any help please

As was posted above,

Hello,

What is the error you are specifically referring to? Autopsy not being able to read a file is by no means a fatal error, and from your screenshot, it looks like the modules processed properly, and you have results.

If you are not seeing them in the UI, try closing Autopsy and restarting it. Also try running it as Administrator. Additionally, the new version of Autopsy was released this morning, downloading that may solve your issue(s).

Thank you

Hi Brian,

Thanks for answer.
I checked md5 hash for the device1_laptop.e01 file, the result is the same. I have no clue why my Hashset Hist only get 2

Hi all,
I only have 1 hit in Ransome Case, and Pictures Folder show 16 but the answer for that question at lab quiz was wrong…
Hoping for some solutions from the tutors

Hello,

It looks like the ingest module is not able to read data, did you check to ensure that the image file that you downloaded is complete? Is there anything on your system that would be interfering with Autopsy, such as antivirus/EDR? Perhaps it is sandboxing an element of Autopsy, which is causing the program to not work properly.

While some files are unable to be read, it looks like you have had an issue with the modules running, because you do not have the results that you should have. Try closing and restarting Autopsy, as your UI may not be refreshing properly.

Thank you

While not fatal, I can confirm the same error:

Error encountered while calculating the hash value for /Windows/servicing/Sessions/30774123_1296942165.back.xml (Deleted File).

I’m using Autopsy 4.15.0

Yes, those are possibilities, although I’m not sure I would know how to narrow it down to a specific cause. Since several users appear to have had the identical issue, perhaps we can consider it a bug report? Please let me know if there is any specific system info I can provide (by email, for example), to help the dev team identify the issue.