How to tell if a file system child is a directory, archive or normal file

Ah sorry yeah you’re right - I don’t think we have any code handling plugins. I think it’s built in to Netbeans.

1 Like

My project is nearing completion, I’m currently missing 3 features, adding .nbm modules, as discussed in the previous reply and which I might abandon, setting module parameters for custom modules, and generating reports.

Regarding setting module parameters for custom modules, can you help me figure out how to extract the parameters from “GenericIngestModuleJobSettings” instances?

The settings hash map does not contain the right values, as an example “Timesketch Module” displays 6 string inputs in the “IngestJobSettingsPanel”, while the hash map contains 2 values which have no relation to the 6 displayed.

I’ve looked inside the python code of the modules and they seem to initialize the settings when the factory constructs an instance of the module, I’ve tried constructing an instance just to extract these parameters but I get an “AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘getSetting’” exception.

I’ve spent a couple hours debugging variables on both autopsy and my version and I just cannot understand how to get these values, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks once more, hopefully I wont have to bother you for much longer, and soon I should be able to get a demo version of my software running and I’d be very pleased to show it to the Sleuth Kit team if you guys do have any interest, along with the source code as it is meant to be open source.

We’d love to see your software!

I’m going to see if @Mark_McKinnon can answer your question, as I believe he’s the one that wrote the Timesketch module and I don’t know that much about the python modules.

1 Like

When you are using the GenericIngestModuleJobSettings it uses a key/value pair to store the data. In order to save the data you need to use the setSetting(Key, value). To get the data back you need to use a getSetting(key). For example in my Timesketch module I set six values in the UISettingsPanel. In the init of the section of the IngestModule I get all the values I previously set. Does that make sense?

1 Like

It does make sense, and that’s kinda how I assumed it would work, my issue is that I cannot seem to populate the hashmap without initializing the module (and trying to initialize the module just to populate the map fails for me), I’m trying to work out a solution to extract the possible parameters of each module so I can pass an object to the client containing variable names and types, preferably without having to initialize the module.

I’ll have to keep looking around in the code to try to figure out a solution, thanks for the help